[wix-users] How to upgrade?

Bevan Weiss bevan.weiss at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 20:50:15 PST 2021

Racheli,

You'd be advised to look over StackOverflow for WiX-like topics
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/114165/how-to-implement-wix-installer-upgrade?rq=1

The Windows Installer world is a little like witch-craft.  WiX doesn't seek
to fully abstract away the incantations, just to make them slightly more
user-friendly.
But you will still want to understand (at a high level at least) the
Windows Installer framework that WiX operates in.

If you're looking for an .MSP file, then you are NOT looking for an
UPGRADE, but are instead looking for a Patch
https://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/patching/

Best advice is to avoid it.
The simplest to design and troubleshoot are MAJOR_UPGRADEs (from MSIs), so
stick with them if you can.

Regards,
Bevan

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 at 15:39, Rob Mensching via wix-users <