[wix-users] Prevent desktop shortcut when applying a patch

john daintree johnd at dyalog.com
Mon Dec 6 03:57:53 PST 2021

This is my first post to the list, I hope I'm doing this correctly.

I'm trying to write a patch that doesn't reinstall a desktop shortcut if the
user deleted the shortcut since the base product was installed. The steps
are:

1.	Install the product
2.	Delete the desktop shortcut
3.	Apply the patch

a.	At this point the desktop shortcut is reinstalled. I want to prevent
this.

I've tried adding a condition to the shortcut element of the package:

    <Fragment>

        <DirectoryRef Id="TARGETDIR">

        <Component Id="desktopshortcut"
Guid="{d178ae9c-026c-4a6c-9329-c67276fabd8e}">

                <Condition>NOT PATCH</Condition>

                <Shortcut Id="desktopshortcut" Name="Sample"
Directory="DesktopFolder" Target="[TARGETDIR]sample.txt" Show="normal" />

        </Component>

        </DirectoryRef>

    </Fragment>

But that hasn't done it. I'm not sure what else to do.

I've attached my product.wxs and patch.wxs which are based on the samples
provided here:
https://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/patching/wix_patching.html

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.