[wix-users] System registry key started showing up in our MSI

Dennis Costello dennis.costello at prudential.com
Fri Dec 3 10:23:08 PST 2021

We have been using a wix project to build our deployment for several years now and very recently we started experiencing a problem with machines not being able to boot after our system was uninstalled.  After several days of investigating it was found that our uninstall was removing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2\Parameters\WinSock_Registry_Version registry key, thus disabling Windows completely.  We do not have any references to this key, nor have we had this problem prior to about 2 weeks ago.  We haven't made any code changes to our wix project since early August and that was a very minor change.  We build and test our system daily so we know that this just started happening very recently, but here's the kicker for us, it doesn't happen every build!  The same compile machine is used for every build, but using Orca I do not see the Registry entry in every msi!

We are at a complete loss as to where to even begin to figure out what is going on.  I could say some how the registry key is being picked up from the compile machine, but it doesn't happen every build.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!