[wix-users] Strange problem with permanent component, folder delete, and upgrade.

rmacfadyen at rmtrack.com rmacfadyen at rmtrack.com
Mon Aug 30 17:20:01 PDT 2021

Jacob,

The authoring looks like:

      <Component Id="Web.config" DiskId="1"
Guid="{59F376F4-A90C-4F21-91E5-847A3308E64D}" Permanent="yes">

        <File Id="Web.config" Name="Web.config"
Source="$(var.WebFilesPath)\Web.config" />

      </Component>

The help on "NeverOverwrite" is confusing:

If this attribute is set to 'yes', the installer does not install or
reinstall the component if a key path file or a key path registry entry for
the component already exists. The application does register itself as a
client of the component. Use this flag only for components that are being
registered by the Registry table. Do not use this flag for components
registered by the AppId, Class, Extension, ProgId, MIME, and Verb tables.
Values of this type will be either "yes" or "no".

The bit "Use this flag only for. Registry table" and "Do not use . AppId,
Class [etc]" seem to all be about Windows registry items. Does this flag
apply to filesystem items?

BUT. I think you may be on the trail with timestamps. If through the
copy/pasting/renaming going on maybe the web.config file ended up with the
same timestamp as the web.config in the installer and therefore the
installer overwrote it?

Anyways thanks!!

Rob