[wix-users] When to Schedule Custom Commit Actions?

Bryan Dam bryand at recastsoftware.com
Mon Aug 30 16:50:44 PDT 2021

I've got a service that relies on assemblies that must be in the GAC.  The GAC requirement is a non-negotiable unfortunately: we integrate into a system that does not accept private assemblies.  According to the ServiceControl table docs (here<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/servicecontrol-table>) that means I can't rely on the default ServiceStart action because GAC assemblies aren't registered until InstallFinalize.  The solution suggested: "you must use a custom action sequenced after the InstallFinalize action or a commit custom action".  You generally need to be elevated to start a service and you can't have a deferred custom action after InstallFinalize.  Right now I'm using WixQuietExec64 to call 'sc start' with Execute="commit".  I tried not scheduling it in InstallExecuteSequence and scheduling it after InstallFinalize but neither worked so I ending up scheduling it Before="InstallFinalize".  Right now it's 'working' but the logs seem to show that my commit action is finishing before InstallFinalize is finishing .  That has me slightly concerned that it's just a race condition working in my favor.  The service takes a few seconds to start and load the assemblies and it's just routinely being beaten by InstallFinalize.

So, am I doing this right?  Is that when I should schedule that kind of commit action? Or is there some better (non-wrapper) way to do this?
        Thanks,
              Bryan