[wix-users] Help with MSM including in MSI

Miles Davies Miles.Davies at horiba.com
Thu Apr 8 06:08:03 PDT 2021

Hi Pavel,
	I wonder if I might ask why? This would seem an odd thing to do, at least as far as my understanding goes.

MSM files are Windows installer 'merge modules' which are intended to be distributed by themselves. The merge module is then used by external parties to include into their own installers. An example might be a library or tool such as the Microsoft CRT re-distributable. Merge modules are not designed as a 'library' container to build a larger installer from. That would be more closely mirrored by a WiX library.

In terms of installing a set of MSM files for an external user to consume in their own installers you wouldn't want to unpack them in your MSI but xcopy them into a known location.

I can help with creating a MSM and consuming it from an MSI but I am not really sure that is what you want.

Best regards,
	Miles