[wix-users] When does Burn use C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\ vs C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Package Cache?

Shintaro Takechi devst119 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:29:57 PDT 2021

Hi,

I now encounter weird errors.

I have a bundle project (calling bundle A) that is perfectly working, and
now I am working on a bundles that is created again from the bundle A.
(calling this new bundle B)
Even though the prerequisite exe has not changed, nor the <ExePackage ...>
code, error started to show up in the middle of installing the prerequisite
for bundle B.

Error code itself are 0x800702e4, but I do not think the cause is not
elevation issue.
I compared the binaries (using winmerge) and confirmed the exe are same.

Main difference I found in the bundle .log is the path the file is
available.

In the bundle A, the path of this problematic prerequisite was located
in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache

However, in the bundle B the path of this prerequisite is placed
at C:\Users\My.User.Name\AppData\Local\Package Cache

I recall the majority of the time ProgramData was used before.
How could this happen?
When does WiX determine to use different package locations?
Is there a flag in the bundle code I can modify to guarantee the use of
ProgramData?

Best regards,

Shintaro Takechi