[wix-users] Forcing a reboot after installing an MSI from a Bundle

rpapo at comcast.net rpapo at comcast.net
Fri Sep 11 14:42:47 PDT 2020

Our product is a developer tool, and we have never had anybody ask for
automated installation.  At least not in the past twelve years that I've
been working on it.

I agree with all the points about reboots raised by you and others, and our
installations didn't require reboots before (perhaps due to that
InstallShield feature).  But I'm not worried for the moment because this
release is only a stopgap until we finish migrating the entire product to
new tooling.  The handling of the Visual Studio redistributables is handled
much better in VS2015 and later.  The new version of the product does not
require a reboot either.  And it obeys such installer rules as "don't put
X64 stuff in X86 folders".  Rules which somehow our long departed
InstallShield guru somehow managed to work around.

--Rick