[wix-users] Colon in product name of WiX3 setup project throws an error

Danny Streichert listen at dannypsilon.de
Tue Oct 27 09:26:10 PDT 2020

Hello,

is it normal that, if in an product name of an setup project a colon is,
a error from light.exe will throws?

I have a Bundle in which a x86 and a x64 msi is.

If there is a colon in my product name of a setup project and I call the
following:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.11\bin\Light.exe" -out
"C:\Dev\KKK\kkk SetupBundle\bin\Release\mmm_Setup.exe" -pdbout
"C:\Dev\KKK\kkk SetupBundle\bin\Release\mmm_Setup.wixpdb" -ext
"C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.11\bin\\WixUtilExtension.dll"
-ext "C:\Program Files (x86)\WiX Toolset v3.11\bin\\WixBalExtension.dll"
-contentsfile "obj\Release\kkk
SetupBundle.wixproj.BindContentsFileList.txt" -outputsfile
"obj\Release\kkk SetupBundle.wixproj.BindOutputsFileList.txt"
-builtoutputsfile "obj\Release\kkk
SetupBundle.wixproj.BindBuiltOutputsFileList.txt" -wixprojectfile
"C:\Dev\KKK\kkk SetupBundle\kkk SetupBundle.wixproj"
obj\Release\Bundle.wixobj

the following error comes back:

light.exe : error LGHT0001 : Die Länge darf nicht kleiner als 0 (null) sein.
Parametername: length

Exception Type: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException

Stack Trace:
    bei System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
    bei Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.WixBundleRow.get_LogPrefix()
    bei
Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Binder.CreateBurnManifest(String
outputPath, WixBundleRow bundleInfo, WixBundleUpdateRow updateRow,
WixUpdateRegistrationRow updateRegistrationInfo, String path, List`1
allRelatedBundles, List`1 allVariables, List`1 orderedSearches,
Dictionary`2 allPayloads, ChainInfo chain, Dictionary`2 containers,
Dictionary`2 catalogs, Table wixBundleTagTable, List`1
approvedExesForElevation, Dictionary`2 commandLinesByPackage)
    bei Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Binder.BindBundle(Output
bundle, String bundleFile)
    bei Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Binder.Bind(Output output,
String file)
    bei Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Tools.Light.Run(String[] args)

Does anyone know this behavior and can help?