[wix-users] How to create an extension verb that runs an EXE located in my installed application?

Meme Bag memebag at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 8 09:26:17 PDT 2020

I can't find the answer to this question anywhere on the web. It seems like the most common use case for WIX/MSI, but maybe my terminology is incorrect.

My goal:

I want my installer to create an extension that runs an EXE file installed by my installer. The EXE file is in a subfolder of my application.

My problem:

Everything I've tried to define the path to the EXE file has failed. The latest verb definition looks like this:

    <Verb Id="open" Command="Open" TargetFile="[APPLICATIONFOLDER]runtime/bin/javaw.exe" Argument='-jar [APPLICATIONFOLDER]app\foo.jar com.foobar.Launcher "%1"' />

I can see that "[APPLICATIONFOLDER]" is assigned a value in the "Argument" part of that verb (by putting junk in the "TargetFile" part and running the install).

But the verb above produces this error in the WIX Toolset Linker:

    error LGHT0094 : Unresolved reference to symbol 'File:[APPLICATIONFOLDER]runtime/bin/javaw.exe' in section 'Product:*'.

I've tried about 20 different ideas to produce a verb with the correct path to the EXE file, but none work.

What am I missing?