[wix-users] Copy msi log file from default location to application folder

Joseph Luebker jluebker at envirosys.com
Mon Oct 5 15:06:28 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I am fairly new to WiX an am hoping that someone can assist. I am trying to copy the msi log from the default location in the %temp% directory to the application folder. I have the following defined in the Product tag which isn't working:

<Property Id="MsiLogging" Value="voicewarmupx!"/>

<CustomAction Id="CopyLogFile" Execute="immediate"
                        ExeCommand="cmd /c copy [MsiLogFileLocation] [APPLICATIONFOLDER]"
                        Directory="TARGETDIR"
                        Impersonate="no"
                        Return="asyncNoWait" />

<InstallExecuteSequence>
  <Custom Action="CopyLogFile" OnExit="success" />
</InstallExecuteSequence>

If I change [APPLICATIONFOLDER] to something like C:\temp\install.log it does work. So what would be the correct way to specify the application's install folder without hardcoding it?

Thanks,
Joe