[wix-users] Files in use

Parkes, Kevin kevin.parkes at wacom.com
Wed Nov 25 04:51:07 PST 2020

I have 2 (bundle) installers. A couple of the embedded MSIs include shared components but, as far as I can see, the shared components have the same Component Ids so, as I understand it, that shouldn't be a problem.

Installer A installs a service which is running but not using any of the shared components.

If run a repair of installer B, I get a Files In Use warning (pointing to the running service). I do not get a Files In Use if I uninstall installer B.

Why am I getting Files In Use? What are the criteria for deeming a file to be in use? Is it possible to determine exactly which files are "in use"?