[wix-users] After Enabling DisplayInternalUI MSI Doesn't Rollback

Mark Lopez mark.lopez at contrastsecurity.com
Tue Nov 17 14:18:25 PST 2020

We are trying to give some love to an older installer we ship. Historically, we've used the standard BA to wrap our MSI's, but opt-ed to move to a managed BA to offer a better UX.

What's odd, when a MSI op fails e.g. "Service failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services" and DisplayInternalUI=no is set, the MSI engine doesn't rollback the install and doesn't give an error to the BA. The install just continues on, and ultimately returns a 0x0 success to the BA.

Setting DisplayInternalUI=yes with the same failed op does correctly rollback the install.

I'm thinking there must be something obvious we're missing, since I've seen messages on this mailing list asking how to cancel a rollback with a custom BA.

(Also Vital=yes)

Regards,
Mark Lopez