[wix-users] Common MSI in Two Bundles Uninstalled Prematurely

BENNETT Darren darren.bennett at listech.com
Mon Nov 9 23:08:24 PST 2020

Hello everyone,

I have a problem where a common product that is included in two bundles is being uninstalled prematurely.

The situation is something like this:

Bundle-A contains Msi-1 + Msi-2
Bundle-B contains Msi-1 + Msi-3

Install Bundle-A and Bundle-B on the same computer.

Major upgrades for the MSI's in Bundle-B are built (new ProductCode and ProductVersion but same UpgradeCode), so the new Bundle-B contains Msi-1a + Msi-3a.

Install the new Bundle-B, both Msi-1 and Msi-3 are major upgraded to Msi-1a and Msi-3a successfully.

If I uninstall Bundle-B, then Msi-1a is also uninstalled, whereas I want Msi-1a to remain until Bundle-A is uninstalled.

I have tried using the dependency extension and adding a "provide" tag to the common MSI in both Bundle-A and Bundle-B like:

<MsiPackage Id="Common_x86.msi" SourceFile="$(var.MsiCommon_x86)Common_x86.msi">
  <dep:Provides Key="CommonProductKey" />
</MsiPackage>

but I cannot seem to get this to work correctly.

Any help to resolve my issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  Darren