[wix-users] .NET Standard

Vanniekerk, Tyrel (GE Healthcare) tyrel.vanniekerk at ge.com
Thu May 28 07:11:05 PDT 2020

Hi,

This is just a general question to the WiX Toolset developers.  I am curious if there are any reasons why the ApplicationBootstrapper and CustomActions classes and assemblies could not be written to support .NET Standard 2.*?

I have a launcher application that our users use to kick off the various installers etc., and it's just a .NET WPF app, so it does not have the handy dandy C++ bootstrapper to install .NET Framework if needed.  If I understand correctly, the .NET standard/core uses a NuGet packages version of the .NET Framework, so that app should be able to run on a system without .NET Framework installed.  At least that's what I expect.

If the bootstrapper UI was also in standard, it would mean that it could run without needing to install the framework, which would be cool.

Thanks,
Tyrel