[wix-users] Install .Net 4.8 if it's not installed as a condition

Tigran Galoyan tigran.galoyan at gmail.com
Mon May 4 17:54:52 PDT 2020

Hi,

I know how to check whether .Net 4.8 is installed as pre-existing
condition. However, I want to install it if that's not installed yet. Has
anyone gone through this path and can advise me? I'm fine to handle that
either at bundle level or in the MSI package itself.

I could see it's quite easy for .Net 4.5 at bundle level in bootstrapper (
https://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/howtos/redistributables_and_install_checks/install_dotnet.html
):

<Chain>
    <PackageGroupRef Id="NetFx45Web"/>
    <MsiPackage Id="MyApplication"
SourceFile="$(var.MyApplicationSetup.TargetPath)"/>
</Chain>

However, up to .Net 4.6.2 the package group IDs exist (
https://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/customactions/wixnetfxextension.html).
There is no simple way for 4.8. I found a harder approach for 4.7.2, but
couldn't apply to my scenario for 4.8.

Any support is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tigran