[wix-users] Lock bootstrapper and MSI to en-US culture

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Sun Mar 15 14:15:56 PDT 2020

I was looking for the blog entry from more than a decade ago that explains this, but in my old age I've temporarily misplaced the memory of who wrote it and my Google-foo skills failed me, but basically here's the process (more-or-less):

1. Windows Installer starts, and if logging is turned on by whatever means starts logging in the installing user's locale.
2. Windows Installer parses the referenced package file's summary information, and switches to that locale.
3. Windows Installer then opens the main content of the package file, then processes command line properties, and changes locale as needed based on the locale-relevant properties.
If the "client" isn't skipped, then the "server" part of the log starts up in the locale used by the client log at the time the service is connected.

This, the only way to set the locale at the beginning of the log is to call the first MSI API with that locale set already. However, the bulk of the log should end up in the locale you built the package for.

Blair