[wix-users] FileLoadException when Building using 3.11.2.4516

Gruber, Kerry A kerry.a.gruber at intel.com
Mon Mar 9 09:30:15 PDT 2020

All,
I am seeing I "FileLoadException" for Candle.exe while building with the latest version of the Wix binaries.  This issue does not occur with the 3.11.1 binaries.  The failure I get is;

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\temp\throwaway\WIX\SecureWrapper\SecureWrapperProject\WIX\candle.exe' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515) ---> System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework.

This causes issue both when building in VS2019 and when building on command line using the 18362 EWDK.

Looking at the code deltas between the two versions, the changes appear to be related to signing of Wix binaries (unclear if it also affects contents.)  I am wondering it the changes are making the binaries try to sign something using a tool that isn't present, or possibly the security on my IT system is not letting a request through to get signed.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this or help root-causing?

Thanks, Kerry