[wix-users] Detecting 32-bit System

Todd Hoatson todd.hoatson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 13:08:56 PDT 2020

Our product has been a 32-bit app for many years, but now we have switched
to 64-bit.  One requirement for our installer is that we do something
reasonable if someone tries to install our new product on a 32-bit system.

In the WiX code for building our bundle, we currently have:

  xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/BalExtension"
<Bundle
  <bal:Condition Message="XP is no longer supported."> (VersionNT >=
v6.0) </bal:Condition>

Is it enough to change the last line to:

    <bal:Condition Message="32-bit Windows is no longer supported.">
(VersionNT64 >= v6.0) </bal:Condition>

Is this a reliable approach?  Or is there a better way to ensure the
installer will not proceed on a 32-bit system?

thanks,
Todd Hoatson
Mobile: 763-291-3312
Email:   todd.hoatson at gmail.com