[wix-users] ForceReboot after InstallFiles

Davy Durham ddurham at davyandbeth.com
Thu Jul 2 16:51:35 PDT 2020

Hi,

   I'm trying to force a reboot mid-install for an .msi.  (I'm avoiding
burn because strictly an .msi is a requirement).

   I'm wanting to <ForceReboot after="InstallFiles"> and then resume
with more actions, all before the Register/Publish steps.

   It seems that in this case, after the reboot, the msi is run again
but it starts the UI phase all over (presumable because the product is
not registered/published).   However, if I <ForceReboot
before="InstallFinalize"> the behavior after reboot is correct in that
the UI reappears with a "Resume" dialog and it continues.  But the
problem is that after the Register/Publish steps, "Installed" is now
/true/ and who knows what the other properties' values are, which are so
tricky to get right already regarding install/uninstall/upgrade, etc.

   Is it possible to <ForceReboot after="InstallFiles"> and have it
resume the execute phase where it left off or at least have the UI hit
the resume dialog when AfterReboot is true regardless of where the
reboot occurred?

Thanks!