[wix-users] How to build WiX Custom Action projects without having VS Extension installed?

Philipp Weber philipp.weber at suragus.com
Wed Jan 15 00:43:22 PST 2020

Hi,

I've got a C# solution containing a WiX installer project, which
references a C# Custom Action project for WiX v3. Within the csproj of
that CA project, there is a WixCATargetsPath entry referencing the file
Wix.CA.targets:

<WixCATargetsPath Condition=" '$(WixCATargetsPath)' == ''
">$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.CA.targets</WixCATargetsPath>

The Wix.CA.targets is obviously part of the installation of the Wix
Toolset VS 2017 Extension, and not of the Wix Toolset itself. But on our
build server, neither Visual Studio nor Wix Toolset Extension is
installed, which is why the build there fails:

error MSB4019: Das importierte Projekt "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft
Visual Studio\2017\BuildTools\MSBuild\Microsoft\WiX\v3.x\Wix.CA.targets"
wurde nicht gefunden. Vergewissern Sie sich, dass der Pfad in der
<Import>-Deklaration korrekt und die Datei auf dem Datenträger vorhanden
ist.

On the build server, WiX Toolset is installed, but not the corresponding
VS extension.
So is it possible to build Custom Action projects on the build server
without having the Wix Toolset Extension installed? Is there any
alternative?

Thanks for your help in advance
Philipp