[wix-users] Multi-language installer - custom bootstrapper

viharika reddy viharikareddygopu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 04:16:02 PST 2020

Hi Bevan,

I think, that is what I am doing currently. Please see my initial mail in
this thread. However, I am copying the same here.

I would like to know whether I am following a right approach or not to
create a multi-lang installer(English and Japanese). I am following below
approach.

*Package creation:*

   1. Default language is set to English in my product.wxs file.
      2. Creating the msi package
      3. Creating Japanese localized msi package using "-dcodepage=932" and
      "-cultures:ja-JP" options.
      4. Generating a transform file (1041.mst) using torch by passing the
      above two msi packages(English and Japanese)
      5. Creating a simple bootstrapper application with language selection
      dialog. Now my package contains
         1. msi package
         2. 1041.mst file (japanese) and
         3.  setup.exe (bootstrapper)

*Note*: I am not including Japanese msi in my package

*Installation:*

   1. setup.exe displays a lang-selection dialog upon its launching.
      2. If user selects "English" then msi will be launched as "msiexex /i
      product.msi"
      3. If user selects "Japanese" then msi will launched as "msiexe /i
      product.msi 1041.mst"

Could please confirm that I am following a right process here to create a
multi-language installer? Please let me know if there is any better
approach or any drawbacks in my current process.

- Viharika

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 5:31 PM Bevan Weiss via wix-users <