[wix-users] Change install location of a merge module with MSI

viharika reddy viharikareddygopu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 07:16:16 PST 2020

Hello,

I am creating a merge module and including it in a MSI. Both the merge
module and MSI package are installing files in
*<ProgramFiles>\company\version* folder successfully when I install the MSI
package in default location. If I change the install location of MSI
package to "*C:\test*" then the MSI package installing the files in
"C:\test\company\version" folder as expected but the merge module is still
installing the files in default location i.e.
*<ProgramFiles>\company\version* folder.

What changes need to be done to merge module wxs file to install the files
in the location specified by user during MSI package installation? In
short, I want to set the INSTALLDIR of MSI package to merge module as well.

Below is the directory structure of my merge module wxs file.

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
  <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
<Directory Id="INSTALLDIR">
 <Directory Id="COMPANY" Name="company">
<Directory Id="VERSION" Name="1.0.0">