[wix-users] Wix installer - Can we able to make installer for machine level and not user profile level

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Mon Aug 17 03:58:38 PDT 2020

It's been a few years since I did a VSTO AddIn installer (there was a time I was doing a lot of them) and I've never used AddIn Express.  My approach was a bootstrapper to install all the prerequisites and a per-machine MSI that put registered the AddIn per-user (HKCU).  It would work right away for the user who did the install and then when a different user logged in  it would cause the MSI to do a repair which would then setup the HKCU values for that user.

I've got some old blog articles laying around somewhere.

<http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2008/04/vsto-lessons-learned.html>
http://blog.iswix.com/search?q=vsto

I haven't looked at recent versions of Office.  Maybe if you don't care about these old versions you can just do a per-machine install.   A lot of people are moving towards the new multiplatform JavaScript SDK for AddIns which is probably why I haven't had any VSTO work in a while.  You might want to check it out.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/add-ins/