[wix-users] Prevent non-admin from running MSI Modify install

Joel Budreau joel.budreau at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 15:02:48 PDT 2020

Hi all,

I've got an MSI that, when installed, displays the "Change" button in ARP.
If a user clicks the change button they have the option to
Modify/Repair/Remove the MSI. This is all good if the user is an admin, but
if they're not an admin I don't want to allow this.

After reading this post from Christopher I'm feeling a little defeated -
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20894447/windows-does-not-prompt-for-elevation-when-changing-configuration-of-product-usi

It seems silly to me that once an MSI is installed per-machine windows
thinks it's ok to run modify/repair/remove installations on behalf of
non-admins! What's the best way to lock this down for admins-only? Write a
custom action that checks to see if the user is a member of the local
administrators group - and error out with a dialog if not?

Thanks for any help :)
- Joel