[wix-users] Split Existing Installer Into Two

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 08:46:32 PDT 2020

If you want possibly to install both proxy and client together on the same
system later in the future, then you're going to want to install your
files to different directories. Otherwise you have shared components for
the files.

You can most definitely give one of the new MSIs a new upgrade code and
also add the old upgrade code to allow seamless upgrades from the old to
the new. Note that if the other new MSI shares the old upgrade code, then
you'll also be allowing seamless upgrades from client to proxy or vice
versa depending on which one shares the old upgrade code. That also makes
installing both proxy and client side-by-side harder in the future. You
probably want both client and proxy to have new upgrade codes so they don't
upgrade each other. Both should include the old upgrade code in the upgrade
table to allow seamless upgrade from the combined msi. Both should likely
detect the other new upgrade code so that you can implement a
launch condition to disallow side-by-side installations until you're ready
to support that case. And you should still install your files to two
different directories so those files are not shared components so that all
you likely need to do later to support side-by-side installations is to
simply remove the launch conditions. Your files would be duplicated on that
side-by-side installation but that makes both of them easier to manage.

--
Edwin G. Castro