[wix-users] Arm64 support - Wix binder issue

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Mon Apr 27 18:31:22 PDT 2020

LGTM

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Nikola Milosavljevic (CLR) via wix-users
Sent: Monday, 27 April, 2020 21:04
To: wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org
Cc: Nikola Milosavljevic (CLR) <nikolam at microsoft.com>
Subject: [wix-users] Arm64 support - Wix binder issue

Hi guys,

I have found 2 issues in arm64 support that was added recently (build 3.14.0.3910).

This is one of them:
https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/6161

Wix binder is trying to use burn.exe from Wix's arm64 folder. However, burn.exe is x86 only. For x64 projects, binder correctly includes burn.exe from x86 folder. It should do the same for arm64 projects.

The fix is simple, to expand condition at the following line to include arm64 platform:
https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/blob/2d8b37764ec8453dc78dbc91c0fd444feaa6666d/src/tools/wix/Binder.cs#L3816

The code becomes something like this:

    string stubPlatform;
    if (Platform.X64 == bundleInfo.Platform ||
        Platform.ARM64 == bundleInfo.Platform) // today, the x64 and arm64 Burn use the x86 stub.
    {
        stubPlatform = "x86";
    }

I have the change ready - it worked fine in my tests. I would like to fix this issue, I can create a PR soon.

Thanks,
Nikola