[wix-users] How to validate something using a product that will be installed during the current installation process

Tigran Galoyan tigran.galoyan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:53:24 PDT 2020

Hi Community,

Let's say my installation package will install two products at the
same time. One of the products have let's say Validator.exe that basically
needs to be run somewhere in the middle, e.g. after the EULA is accepted,
in order to validate if there is a valid license. If there is no license
then we cancel the installation at all. If there is a valid license then we
install both products (including the product with Validator.exe).

The thing is that InstallShield has something like SUPPORTDIR where it
temporarily keeps all the components of all products to be installed during
the installation process. Whereas, WiX doesn't support that, for security
reasons. So now my task is how could I use that Validator.exe (note it has
its dependencies DLLs...) in the middle while it's not installed as part of
its product yet and is not available to my custom action to run it and
verify the existence of the valid license?

How can I achieve this? Thanks in advance.

Best,
Tigran