[wix-users] Split Existing Installer Into Two

Bryan Dam bryand at recastsoftware.com
Mon Apr 27 14:19:35 PDT 2020

We have an existing installer that we are considering breaking out into two separate ones.  Why?  Because despite a shared codebase the configuration and use cases are very very different.  One acts as a client (runs actions on itself) while the other is a proxy (runs actions on remote devices).  Our customers appear to be confused by working through an installer that offers them both use cases and making the correct choices.  Just the name of the MSI is cause for confusion ("It says Proxy but I want to install the client").  Further, since they do provide different functionality we envision situations where they are both installed (not currently possible).

That being said, this sounds like a bad self-inflicted wound.  Specifically: how do we upgrade the existing installs?  Which is to say, how do we handle the Product and Upgrade IDs?
Would love to hear any suggestions the community might have or just general abuse for doing it wrong.  I wouldn't even blame you.

         Thanks,
               Bryan