[wix-users] Apply msi and msp at once

Benny Bürger buerger at simba.de
Mon Apr 27 08:46:10 PDT 2020

Hi,

till today I thought, that it is possible to apply an upgrade and an update to a program at the same time using (all files are generated with wix toolset):
msiexec.exe /i "c:\x\x.msi" PATCH="C:\x\x1.msp;C:\x\x2.msp"
Today I got problems when running the program because some files and registrations were not updated.
A test using
msiexec.exe /i "c:\x\x.msi"
and then
msiexe /update "C:\x\x1.msp;C:\x\x2.msp"
worked fine, all files have been copied and all registrations were made.
Is this a bug or is the option using the MSI Patch Property not really supported?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/patch
Are there any alternatives (without using an administrative install and using just the msi and msp files) e.g by generating the msp files with special parameters?

Tia,
Benny