[wix-users] Upgrade questions

Venkatesha, Amrutha AVenkatesha at freewheel.com
Wed Sep 11 07:41:54 PDT 2019

Hello All,

I have more of yes/no questions

  1.  The way I understand wix (I am very new) is that we release a wix installer to install a product and then either do a major or minor upgrade on the installed product. Is there a way to release an installer with both install and upgrade features. i.e. if the product already exists on the user's system, then do an upgrade. If the product does not exist, then run the install version. Any documentation links about this would be great
  2.  Consider a file abc.txt as part of installer 1.0.1. The user has 1.0.0 on their system does not upgrade to 1.0.1. The at a later time this files is given to the user outside of the installer with newer changes. The user copies this newest file on their system. Then they decide to run 1.0.1 version of the installer. From what I understand, 1.0.1 will overwrite the newest file on the user's system since the newest file did not have a wix version and was not released though wix. Is there any documentation that talks about how to avoid this

Thanks
Amrutha