[wix-users] Automatic updates could not be paused due to error 0x80080005

yordan.stoyanov at mobisystems.com yordan.stoyanov at mobisystems.com
Tue Sep 10 00:41:37 PDT 2019

Hello,

I use WIX Toolset for an installer and I observe the following installer
behavior. The installer is hanging for 6 minutes on a Windows 7 machine,
which has issues with Windows Updates.

During the installation process the WIX Burn engine will try to pause
automatic updates. This line in the log file indicates pausing automatic
updates has failed after taking approximately 6 minutes to timeout:

Automatic updates could not be paused due to error: 0x80080005.
Continuing...

Is there something to be done for improving the user experience caused by
this behavior? E.g. Making the timeout 1 minute. or even skipping the
pausing action in case the Windows Update issues can be detected?

Kind Regards,

Yordan Stoyanov