[wix-users] CustomAction - both Read AND Write Properties

Walter Dexter wfdexter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 14:06:04 PDT 2019

@Rob - Thanks, I've seen that and read it repeatedly but it's not really
making a lot of sense to me. The last part of the page does and describes
how I got it to work to read the properties from the MSI in deferred mode.

@Edwin - Thanks, and your second paragraph actually solved it for me. I
spent a lot of time today running in circles because I screwed up the
"Session.Log()" calls in the DLL (session.log("blah {0}",blerp) does NOT
work) and now that I've circled back and fixed them and looked at what I
can get in session["property name"] I see that I can read them in immediate
mode.

The CA just needs to take three MSI properties, read a file, and set four
more MSI properties, and that works great in immediate mode, so yippee,
problem solved!

It sure would have been nice if the interface were the same in both
execution modes.

Both of your responses are much appreciated!.

Walt