[wix-users] Cannot start multiple applications with WixQuietExecCmdLine

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 11:35:12 PDT 2019

WixQuietExec waits for the process it starts to finish and it captures any
output written to stdout and stderr and writes it to the msi log. That
custom action is not intended to fire-and-forget an application.

You wan to use WixShellExec as shown here:

https://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/howtos/ui_and_localization/run_program_after_install.html

Step 3 shows how to use WixShellExec. You should be able to schedule it in
InstallExecuteSequence as you're currently doing and thus ignore the rest
of the UI stuff on that howto.

Since you want to start two application you'll need to custom actions using
WixShellExec and two SetProperty custom actions to set WixShellExecTarget
prior to execution.

Try something like this (not tested):

<SetProperty Action="SetNotePadCmdLine" Id="WixShellExecTarget"
Value=""[WindowsFolder]\System32\notepad.exe""
Before="StartNotePad">UILevel
= 2</SetProperty>
<CustomAction Id="StartNotePad" BinaryKey="WixCA" DllEntry="WixShellExec"
Impersonate="yes"/>

<SetProperty Action="SetCalcCmdLine" Id="WixShellExecTarget" Value=
""[WindowsFolder]\System32\calc.exe"" Before="StartCalc">UILevel
= 2</SetProperty>
<CustomAction Id="StartCalc" BinaryKey="WixCA" DllEntry="WixShellExec"
Impersonate="yes"/>

<InstallExecuteSequence>
    <Custom Action="StartNotePad" Before="InstallValidate">UILevel =
2</Custom>
    <Custom Action="StartCalc" After="StartNotePad">UILevel = 2</Custom>
</InstallExecuteSequence>

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 11:07 AM George Couch via wix-users <