[wix-users] Registering COM servers with WiX

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Tue Oct 15 15:46:57 PDT 2019

If the harvesting is happening during the build (which I generally avoid) then I could see why it matters.

If the harvesting is done one time by a developer and statically authored into the .wxs  I don't see why it should matter.

Heat is my first go to for harvesting.  After that I break out InstallShield and/or use a tool like InstallWatcher Pro  to snapshot the registry deltas to catch what heat has missed.

Thankfully I don't do much COM this day. I  did have to write an installer for a customer with a legacy VB6 app the last month and I realized how much I had forgotten how much I disliked COM.