[wix-users] Convincing internal MSI to run during Modify mode with custom bootstrapper

Vanniekerk, Tyrel (GE Healthcare) tyrel.vanniekerk at ge.com
Thu Oct 10 12:44:13 PDT 2019

Hi,

I am trying to get modify mode working correctly for my installers.  From my understanding, if no features have changed, the package will be detected as present and the bootstrapper won't even call the MSI.  So logically, if you have a feature in the MSI that you change from installed to not or vice versa, the bootstrapper will run the MSI to perform that action.

I added an event handler for DetectMsiFeature and I get the current value of the feature.  Then I set a variable to the opposite value.  Problem is that it does not change that I want the state to be Absent.

I added a feature to my internal MSI per the WiX web site and I changed the value of ENABLE_FEATURE_CHANGE to be the opposite value from what it currently is.

    <Feature Id="FeatureChange" Title="Feature To Force Change Mode" Level="0">
      <Condition Level="1">ENABLE_FEATURE_CHANGE</Condition>
    </Feature>

How can I convince the bootstrapper to run my internal MSI to make the feature change?

Thanks,
Tyrel