[wix-users] Visual Studio Build Issue for Heat Command

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 22:35:05 PST 2019

Hi,

I have a WiX Setup Project in Visual Studio 2017. I have a requirement to
run Heat command on a folder and include the generated wxs file into the
project before starting to build (i.e., before running the Candle & Light
commands). But, I am not sure how to achieve this. I tried different things
and also searched on the internet. I am forced to run the build process
twice. I have tweaked the .wixproj file to include the HeatDirectory task
to run the heat command. But it makes me run the build twice. First, it
runs the Heat command and generates the wxs. Then I have to manually
include this wxs into the project and run the build again to generate the
MSI correctly. Is there a better way to do this? Please advise. Also, I
need to have a build task after build (not Post Build Event) to upload this
MSI to a remote server.