[wix-users] I'm in trouble with custom actions

Cedric Grard c.grard at orpalis.com
Tue May 21 09:52:00 PDT 2019

Hi,

I have been asked to modify an existing WiX script that install our
product which requires deffered custom action to be executed (they are
.exe files that are installed).
During the installation phase, it should run 4 custom actions one after
another and this part works properly.
Duing the uninstall phase, before removing the files, 2 custom actions
(different ones) should run one after the other, let's say action A and
action B, this is also working properly.
Now what I need is run action B on repair and also on upgrade (minor)
phase, this is the part I'm stuck with.

The install phase condition is :

<Custom Action="InstallActionA" Before="InstallFinalize">NOT Installed
AND NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
<Custom Action="InstallActionB" After="InstallActionA">NOT Installed AND
NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
<Custom Action="InstallActionC" After="InstallActionB">NOT Installed AND
NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>
<Custom Action="InstallActionD" After="InstallActionC">NOT Installed AND
NOT UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE</Custom>

The uninstall phase condition is :

<Custom Action="UninstallActionA" After="InstallInitialize">(NOT
UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE) AND (REMOVE="ALL")</Custom>
<Custom Action="UninstallActionB" After="UninstallActionA">(NOT
UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE) AND (REMOVE="ALL")</Custom>

I'm not sure conditions are exactly what they should be but it is
working.
However I failed at finding a working condition that would allow me to
run UninstallActionA alone, before removing files, when doing a minor
upgrade.

Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreaciated as I am
completely lost.

Thanks