[wix-users] Build with wix

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 16:23:29 PDT 2019

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 4:00 PM balachander s via wix-users <

> Hi,
>
> Greetings. I am trying to learn about wix installer tool.
> I understood how to create installer package if we have project's
> executable(with wix).
>
> But in my case i am working in already existing project. Where we build the
> project using
> install shield(IS)and get executables. With which installer is made. So i
> need to achieve the same in wix toolset by generating build and pack into
> the installer.

Hi,

The Wix Documentation is pretty good. You could start with the Tutorial:
https://www.firegiant.com/wix/tutorial/. All the Wix tools are available
from the command line or from Visual Studio (via the wix VS plugin). Hand
coding WIX can be a little intimidating at first, so the other way to get
started is with the IsWix GUI that launches from Visual Studio. ISWix has
some good tutorials as well, available here:
https://github.com/iswix-llc/iswix-tutorials.

You don't need to be building your target executables from source code to
use the Wix Visual Studio tools. If I were you, I'd install all the
necessary plugins (Wix, wix plugin, ISWix Plugin) and then open a new ISWix
project. You then update the path to your executable files in the
<projectname>.wxs file and create your package via the IsWix GUI (Tools->
Launch ISWix). Once complete, you can launch the Wix tools (candle, burn,
etc) by building the ISWix project the same as any other project (F5 or
Build-> Build Solution). The tools will then harvest your existing
executables and build the MSI and/or MSM. Again, you don't need to be
compiling the code to use Wix with Visual Studio. A Wix project will launch
the necessary tools that harvest the executables from anywhere.

If you want to build both x86 and x64 installers with Wix, things get a
little more complicated, but I'll save that for a different request.

 Hope that helps?

Russ