[wix-users] Issue with IIS Application Pool Settings

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 02:43:49 PST 2019

I have an MSI with the following component.

 <Component Id="cmpAppPool" Guid="08B7E196-5F24-453A-9B28-9A9C9A2FC441"
NeverOverwrite="yes" Directory="INSTALLFOLDER">
        <CreateFolder />
        <iis:WebAppPool Id="MyAppPool" Name="My App Pool"
MaxWorkerProcesses="5" ManagedPipelineMode="Integrated"
ManagedRuntimeVersion="v4.0" PrivateMemory="1800000" IdleTimeout="10" />
      </Component>

After installing this MSI, the app pool gets created successfully. Then I
am manually modifying the MaxWorkerProcesses to 10 and the IdleTimeout=20
in IIS.

Then I build an upgrade MSI with the following component.

<Component Id="cmpAppPool" Guid="08B7E196-5F24-453A-9B28-9A9C9A2FC441"
NeverOverwrite="yes" Directory="INSTALLFOLDER">
        <CreateFolder />
        <iis:WebAppPool Id="MyAppPool" Name="My App Pool"
MaxWorkerProcesses="6" ManagedPipelineMode="Integrated"
ManagedRuntimeVersion="v4.0" PrivateMemory="1800000" IdleTimeout="11" />
</Component>

Even though I am using NeverOverwrite="yes" on the component, I can see
that the values set manually by the user are getting overwritten. Also,
there is a strange observation. Some settings which are manually updated
retain their values after upgrade. So, some of the settings are always
overwritten, irrespective of whether NeverOverwrite is set or not, while
some settings are never overwritten. Is this a bug or I am missing
something. Please help.

This is a really critical business requirement wherein settings which are
manually updated should not be overwritten during upgrade. Is this possible
with the WiX elements?