[wix-users] Avoid Bundle Resume After Reboot

Bob Arnson bob at firegiant.com
Tue Jan 29 13:11:47 PST 2019

Burn has embedded mode to support such agents. Check out https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/blob/develop/src/burn/Samples/ManagedBundleRunner/BundleRunner.cs.

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Edwin Castro via wix-users
Sent: Tuesday, 29 January, 2019 03:12
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Edwin Castro <egcastr at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] Avoid Bundle Resume After Reboot

I have an unusual question. Is it possible to stop a bundle from registering itself to resume after a reboot?

We have a deployment agent that wants to be in charge of restarting our bundle after a system reboots. If the bundle requests the reboot, then it is somewhat trivial to pass /norestart on the command line and inject a step that removes the RunOnce value after the bundle completes but before the system is actually rebooted. But if the system is rebooted by some other process, then the agent's step to remove the RunOnce value has not been executed which results in our bundle automatically resuming post-reboot.

I understand that under normal circumstances it is incredibly beneficial to have the automatic resume but in this case the deployment agent wants to be in control of when these deployments are restarted.

Any thoughts?

--
Edwin G. Castro