[wix-users] How to allow version downgrade

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Fri Jan 18 06:08:59 PST 2019

Here is years of experience with downgrades for me.

1) Schedule RemoveExistingProducts early

2) Limit your footprint to INSTALLLOCATION

3) Use REINSTALLMODE AMUS

Do this and it works really well.   Install 1   Install 2  Install 3  oops rollback install 2.   Super easy.  Especially using a tools such as SCCM because you don't have to do a two step of uninstall 3 and uninstall 2 which requires additional testing to confirm your back out plan is valid.

The biggest problem?   Operations people who screw stuff up and deploy older versions when they shouldn't have.  Because the backout (downgrade) is so bullet proof  it just works and now people are upset they are on the wrong version.  Not really an installer problem but this is something I've experienced in production over the years.