[wix-users] Fwd: WiX Error Handling

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:33:18 PST 2019

There are many processes involved in an MSI installation. There is a client
process that detects and makes decisions on what to do. The client process
is the one responsible for running the InstallUISequence which drives your
UI dialogs. There is also a server process that is responsible for making
changes to your system. The server process runs standard actions. There are
also one or more processes used to execute custom actions. These processes
are sandboxed from the main client and server processes so that issues with
custom actions do not affect the main installation sequence. I expect there
is some communication between the process running your CloseApplications
custom action and the server process but the data from the server process
is not getting communicated back to the client process which is responsible
for your UI. My recollection matches Rob's in that communicating a property
from the server process back to the client process is not allowed but you
could try making the property secure just in case our recollection is wrong.

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:25 AM Todd Hoatson via wix-users <