[wix-users] No icon in ARP

easoftware at gmail.com easoftware at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 21:09:45 PST 2019

I am new to Wix Installer.  I am using Wix 3.11,Visual Studio 2017 and
Votive2017.

I have a Wix install project that installs the files to correct folders,
puts shortcuts in Start Menu and Desktop, and a Uninstall icon in the Start
Menu.  The uninstall also works.

The problem I am having is the install does not put an icon in Add/Remove
Programs.

The book "WiX 3.6: A Developer's Guide to Windows" states in chapter 1:
"Your software is automatically registered with Programs and Features", but
my install does not.  I can't find any reference on how to make my install
put an icon in Programs and Features or Add/Remove programs.

Here is my simple win project file:
-------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi">
  <!-- Changes from Product3.wxs
    1) Add multiple Files
      a) Create Component Group
      b) Move Component Id="CMP_HW_DocsTXT" into component group
      c) Create new component from HelloWorld.exe
    2) Create Shortcuts for HelloWorld.exe
      a) add Start Menu Shortcut for HelloWorld.exe
        i) moved uninstall start menu shortcut to component for
HelloWorld.exe app
      b) add Desktop Shortcut for HelloWorld.exe
  -->

  <!-- Use * to generate product ID on every build -->
  <Product Id="*"
           Name="Setup Test 4"
           Language="1033"
           Version="1.0.0.0"
           Manufacturer="My Software"
           UpgradeCode="{GUID GOES HERE}">

    <Package InstallerVersion="200"
             Compressed="yes"
             InstallScope="perMachine"
             Manufacturer="My Software"
             Description ="Installs Hello World"
             Keywords="Practice,Installer,MSI,Hello,World"
             Comments="(c) 2019 My Software"/>

    <MajorUpgrade DowngradeErrorMessage="A newer version of [ProductName]
is already installed." />

    <MediaTemplate EmbedCab="yes" />

    <!--Directory Structure-->
    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR"
               Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
        <Directory Id="DIR_Company"
                   Name="My Software">
          <Directory Id="DIR_App"
                     Name="Hello World"/>
        </Directory>
      </Directory>
      <Directory Id="ProgramMenuFolder">
        <Directory Id="DIR_CompanyStartMenu"
                   Name="My Software" />
      </Directory>
      <Directory Id="DesktopFolder"
                 Name="Desktop" />
    </Directory>

    <!--Components-->
    <ComponentGroup Id="CGRP_AppFiles"
                    Directory="DIR_App" >

      <Component Id="CMP_HelloWorldEXE"
                 Guid="{GUID GOES HERE}">
        <File Id="FILE_HellowWorldEXE"
              Source="C:\Source\HelloWorld.exe"
              KeyPath="yes" />
      </Component>

      <Component Id="CMP_HW_DocsTXT"
                 Guid="{GUID GOES HERE}">
        <File Id="FILE_HW_DocsTXT"
              Source="C:\Source\HW_Docs.txt"
              KeyPath="yes" />
      </Component>
    </ComponentGroup>

    <!--Start Menu Shortcuts-->
    <DirectoryRef Id="DIR_CompanyStartMenu">
      <Component Id="CMP_CompanyStartMenu"
                 Guid="{GUID GOES HERE}">

        <Shortcut Id="AppStartMenuShortcut"
                  Name="Hello World Application"
                  Description="Hello World Application"
                  Target="[DIR_App]HelloWorld.exe" />

        <Shortcut Id="DocStartMenuShortcut"
                  Name="Hello World Documentation"
                  Description="Read Hello World Documentation"
                  Target="[DIR_App]HW_Docs.txt" />

        <Shortcut Id="UninstallDocShortcut"
                  Name="Uninstall Hello World"
                  Description="Uninstalls Hello World"
                  Target="[System64Folder]msiexec.exe"
                  Arguments="/x [ProductCode]" />

        <RemoveFolder Id="RemoveCompanyDir"
                      On="uninstall" />

        <RegistryValue Root="HKCU"
                       Key="Software\MySoftware\HelloWorld"
                       Name="StartMenuCompany"
                       Type="integer"
                       Value="1"
                       KeyPath="yes" />
      </Component>
    </DirectoryRef>

    <!--Desktop Shortcuts-->
    <DirectoryRef Id="DesktopFolder">
      <Component Id="CMP_DesktopShortcuts"
                 Guid="{GUID GOES HERE}" >

        <Shortcut Id="AppDecktopShortcut"
                  Name="Hello World Application DT"
                  Description="Hello World Application DT"
                  Target="[DIR_App]HelloWorld.exe" />

        <Shortcut Id="DocDecktopShortcut"
                  Name="Hello World Documentation DT"
                  Description="Read Hello World Documentation DT"
                  Target="[DIR_App]HW_Docs.txt" />

        <RemoveFolder Id="RemoveDesktopFolder"
                      Directory="DesktopFolder"
                      On="uninstall" />

        <RegistryValue Root="HKCU"
                       Key="Software\MySoftware\HelloWorld"
                       Name="DesktopShortcuts"
                       Type="integer"
                       Value="1"
                       KeyPath="yes" />
      </Component>
    </DirectoryRef>

    <!--Features-->
    <Feature Id="ProductFeature"
             Title="Main Product"
             Level="1">
      <ComponentGroupRef Id="CGRP_AppFiles"/>
      <ComponentRef Id="CMP_CompanyStartMenu" />
      <ComponentRef Id="CMP_DesktopShortcuts" />
    </Feature>

  </Product>
</Wix>
-------