[wix-users] Unresolved bind-time variable !(bind.packageDescription.MsiPackageID) is behaving differently from other packageXXXX bindings

Shintaro Takechi devst119 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 13:24:04 PST 2019

Yes I do.
I have a separate msi project but bundle project is very simple.

- *Definitions.wxi*
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Include>
  <?define PRODUCT_NAME = "!(bind.packageName.WiXSandBoxUI)"?>
  <?define PRODUCT_VERSION = "!(bind.packageVersion.WiXSandBoxUI)"?>
  <?define ADD_THIS = "!(bind.packageDescription.WiXSandBoxUI)"?>
</Include>

- *Bundle.wxs*
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi"
     xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/BalExtension">
  <?include Definitions.wxi?>
<Bundle Name="$(var.PRODUCT_NAME)$(var. ADD_THIS)"
          Version="$(var.PRODUCT_VERSION)"
          Manufacturer="test"
          UpgradeCode="1b244e8d-778b-4056-a155-c59ea3dfbfff"
DisableModify="yes" DisableRemove="no">
<BootstrapperApplicationRef
Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense" />

    <bal:Condition Message="This application is only supported on Windows
7, Windows Server 2008 R2, or higher.">
      <![CDATA[(Installed OR (VersionNT64 >= v6.1 ) )]]> <!--OR
ServicePackLevel>=1-->
    </bal:Condition>

<Chain>
      <MsiPackage SourceFile="$(var.WiXSandBox.TargetPath)" Visible="no"
DisplayInternalUI="yes" Compressed="yes" Id="WiXSandBoxUI"/>
</Chain>
</Bundle>
</Wix>