[wix-users] Slowness of Heat.exe without -sreg

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Tue Feb 12 14:16:49 PST 2019

Harvesting self-registration requires several steps involving setting up and tearing down partial isolation and registry enumeration to collect the results, done serially because it's all in-process, which takes a lot more time than simply walking a directory tree and spitting out a bunch of xml. Then there's also the time spent probing every single binary to see if it's capable of self-registration, which is also suppressed with -sreg.

It would be an interesting feature to move the registration harvesting portion out-of-process and and allow it to run in parallel. With multiple cores, it may reduce the overall time somewhat, but I wouldn't try hazarding any guesses of how much.