[wix-users] Include whole files in Pyro patch?

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Sat Feb 9 13:05:51 PST 2019

The four biggest issues we (MSN/Windows Live Messenger) ran into with Windows Installer's use of "delta" was:

1) that any file "corruption" (which could include simply having more than one servicing stack, including releasing both an MSI and an MSP for the same release) would all too often render the file "unpatchable", necessitating a second MSP (identical to the first, except completely "whole-file") to successfully complete the patch.

2) The algorithm used is optimised for PE-32 files (especially when supplying the files own .PDB file to the compression code) and would create a much larger "patch" for 64-bit code, reducing the benefit by a marked amount.

3) Typically by the third base we wanted to patch, the patch had grown to be nearly the size of the whole file.

4) At least once, Windows XP shipped a service release that changed something in the algorithm, causing patches built with that release to not be able to "expand" on unpatched Windows boxes (the expansion worked just fine on updated Windows). That release included some security fix(es) that made its use mandatory within MSFT, so we simply couldn't swap the files out on our build servers. It was around that time we started to reprioritize delta-file as well.