[wix-users] IIS-Extension could not locate the website

Peter Schraffl Schraffl at telecomsoftware.com
Wed Feb 20 09:10:54 PST 2019

Hi there,

I am just trying to understand/solve an issue with our companies installer, maybe someone can help:

We are using the IIS Extension to locate the "Default Web Site" like this:
      <iis:WebSite Id="DefaultWebSite" Description='Default Web Site' Directory='INSTALLDIR'>
         <iis:WebAddress Id="AllUnassigned" Port="80" />
      </iis:WebSite>

Now we had the issue at a customer that locating the website failed causing the installer to rollback with:
WriteIIS7ConfigChanges:  Error 0x80070002: Site not found for create application
WriteIIS7ConfigChanges:  Error 0x80070002: Failed to configure IIS application.
WriteIIS7ConfigChanges:  Error 0x80070002: WriteIIS7ConfigChanges Failed.

The name of the default web site on the customers PC was "Default Website" having three http bindings for port 80 and IP Address set to *. All of the bindings had a value configured in their "Host Name" setting.

Adding another binding with an empty hostname solved the issue but in my understanding it should have found the website regardless whether the there is a binding with an empty host name or not? Am I missing something?

During some tests in our lab we found out that finding the website works even if it cannot be found via the binding (like at the customer) - as long as the name equals the configured Description "Default Web Site". So there seems to be a fallback to the iis:WebSite[@Description] attribute which I did not find in the docu.

Are we using it the wrong way or is this maybe a bug in the IISExtension (not finding the website when there is no binding with an empty "Host Name") or just not possible this way?

Btw.: specifying IP="*" in <iis:WebAddress> does not help.

Kind regards
Schraffl Peter