[wix-users] How does pyro find the files?

Reuss, Matthias matthias.mr.reuss at sivantos.com
Fri Feb 8 06:39:24 PST 2019

Hi there,

Again concerning patch creation (be it worth it or not...)

So far, we have created patches using PCP files. Now we try to evaluate the "Pyro way" of creating patches.

When creating a patch following the sample from the documentation http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/patching/wix_patching.html, and the resulting .msp is *very* small.
It turned out that there are no files inside.

After investigating a bit, I wonder where pyro is supposed to get the files from.
The <Patch> element and its children do not contain file information, in contrast to the <Family> element used in PCP creation.
Neither does the .wixmst created by torch, nor does the pyro command line.

So how does pyro know which filesets to consider, which upgraded files to include, etc.?

Best regards

Matthias Reuss