[wix-users] User-based choice of install scope via bootstrap bundle

Dominique Fuchs dev at dmnq.onl
Fri Feb 1 10:12:07 PST 2019

You‘re right, this is indeed only possible since WI 5.0 and thanks for the clarification that this is still not possible with burn ATM. I ended up writing an own simple C++ bootstrapper, embedding a minimum msi into it that was generated by burn/candle. Defining ALLUSERS and MSIINSTALLPERUSER according to MS guidelines for Single Package Authoring [1] worked fine and the resulting MSI passes ICE105, the bootstrapper does a silent install with cmd parameters that define installation type (per-machine/per-user).

Thanks again!

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/msi/single-package-authoring